LALYs 2014: Elkan Abrahamson, a partner at Quality Solicitors Jackson & Canter in Liverpool, was recognised for his working on behalf of the families of those who died in the Hillsborough tragedy last night at the Legal Aid Lawyer of the Year awards last. Abrahamson, who acts for 19 of the families, won the award for outstanding achievement at the ceremony in London.
Matt Foot, a leading light in the Justice Alliance, was chosen by the judges as legal aid champion. The other contenders were Nick Armstrong of Matrix Chambrs and (jointly) Bill Waddington and Robin Murray, of the Criminal Law Solicitors’ Association were also nominated for their work campaigning against the legal aid cuts.
There were over 1,000 pages of nominations of LALYs this year in the event organised by the Legal Aid Practitioners Group. Lord Justice McFarlane presided over a judging panel which included the former DPP Keir Starmer QC, former JUSTICE director Roger Smith, and human rights lawyer Louise Christian.
You can read the shortlist HERE. Congratulations to all.
LALY 2014 WINNERS
- Legal aid newcomer: Camilla Graham-Wood, Birnberg Peirce
- Social and welfare: Douglas Johnson, Sheffield CAB and Law Centre
- Family legal aid lawyer: Maud Davis, TV Edwards
- Family legal aid mediator: Caroline Bowden, Anthony Gold
- Housing: John Gallagher, Shelter
- Immigration/ Asylum: Mark Scott of London, Bhatt Murphy
- Legal aid barrister: S Chelvan, No 5 Chambers
- Inquests/actions against state: Charlotte Haworth Hird, Bindmans
- Criminal defence lawyer, Mike Schwarz, Bindmans
- Legal aid firm/not-for-profit: Ben Hoare Bell
- Legal aid champion: Matt Foot, Birnberg Peirce