The 16th annual National Pro Bono Week takes place this week. The annual event is sponsored by the Law Society, Bar Council and the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives to celebrate ‘the breadth and impact of pro bono work undertaken by the legal profession across the year, and to encourage further involvement and development’.
- Find out more here.
- You can download ‘A guide to pro bono’ which includes advice aimed at clients and advisers here.
- LawWorks (the Solicitors Pro Bono Group) yesterday announced the shortlist for its annual awards. You can read the shortlist here.
‘In 2017 the public service ethos of so many of our profession has been particularly evident as they have stepped in to volunteer their services to victims of terror attacks and the devastating fire in Grenfell Tower,’ commented the president of the Law Society Joe Egan. The CILEX president Millicent Grant said that pro bono was ‘not about plugging the gaps where legal aid is unavailable to those who need it, it never should be, instead our members do it because it’s the right thing to do’. The Attorney General Jeremy Wright QC MP called pro bono week ‘an important opportunity for the legal community to highlight its ongoing commitment to offering legal advice, and to help increase people’s access to justice’.
- JusticeWatch: ‘If justice was a tin of beans, how would it be branded?’ - 21st September 2018
- Greater Manchester Law Centre’s volunteers recover more than £1m in benefits in two years - 14th September 2018
- JusticeWatch: Not in it for the money - 14th September 2018
- JusticeWatch: Routes to justice - 7th September 2018
- LASPO review debate: ‘The moment must be seized before it is too late’ - 6th September 2018
- JusticeWatch: Immigration rules double in length since 2010 - 30th August 2018
- JusticeWatch: Austerity’s most savage cut - 24th August 2018
- JusticeWatch: More legal aid chaos - 17th August 2018
- JusticeWatch: Time for a pay rise? - 27th July 2018
- MPs find ‘worrying level of demoralisation’ in defence profession - 26th July 2018