The first nine ‘Justice First’ fellows have qualified as solicitors. The lawyers had joined the Legal Education Foundation’s scheme in its first year in 2014 and trained with organisations including the Public Law Project, Coram Children’s Legal Centre, and Coventry Law Centre.
You can read interviews with the fellows on LegalVoice here.
The nine fellows are Melissa Darnbrough (Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit); Deidre Flanigan (Govan Law Centre); Fanny Forest (Coventry Law Centre); Maryam Hussain (Deighton Pierce Glynn); Nadia Hussain (Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit); Helen Roberts (Speakeasy Advice Centre); Debra Robinson (Staffordshire North and Stoke on Trent Citizens Advice Bureaux); Amber Rowsell (Coram Children’s Legal Centre); and Katy Watts (Public Law Project).
Another nine Fellows are due to qualify as solicitors in early 2018 and 15 in late 2018/early 2019, including the first two barrister Fellows.
‘The fellowship scheme felt like a ray of hope, coming at a time of legal aid cuts and closures in the advice sector,’ commented Denise McDowell, director of Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit. ‘The financial contribution is important – without it, we would never have been able to find the money for a new post – but it’s more than that. It is about optimism, and investing in the future and saying “We are not done yet
- Bach Commission calls for ‘legally enforceable’ right to justice and eligibility to legal aid for half of all households - 22nd September 2017
- ‘I don’t think we’ve listened enough,’ says head of courts - 20th September 2017
- JusticeWatch: Getting away with it - 15th September 2017
- JusticeWatch: Need legal aid? Google it - 8th September 2017
- ‘Nine years of austerity’ makes delivery of justice ‘ever more difficult’, says Lord Chief Justice - 8th September 2017
- ‘Barely a third’ of immigration detainees aware of entitlement to free legal advice - 7th September 2017
- LASPO cuts leave thousands of lone migrant children at ‘serious risk’, says Children’s Society - 5th September 2017
- JusticeWatch: Time to get back to work… - 31st August 2017
- North Kensington Law Centre and Liberty to host Justice First fellows - 30th August 2017
- JusticeWatch: LV over the summer - 10th August 2017