The first nine ‘Justice First’ fellows have qualified as solicitors. The lawyers had joined the Legal Education Foundation’s scheme in its first year in 2014 and trained with organisations including the Public Law Project, Coram Children’s Legal Centre, and Coventry Law Centre.
You can read interviews with the fellows on LegalVoice here.
The nine fellows are Melissa Darnbrough (Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit); Deidre Flanigan (Govan Law Centre); Fanny Forest (Coventry Law Centre); Maryam Hussain (Deighton Pierce Glynn); Nadia Hussain (Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit); Helen Roberts (Speakeasy Advice Centre); Debra Robinson (Staffordshire North and Stoke on Trent Citizens Advice Bureaux); Amber Rowsell (Coram Children’s Legal Centre); and Katy Watts (Public Law Project).
Another nine Fellows are due to qualify as solicitors in early 2018 and 15 in late 2018/early 2019, including the first two barrister Fellows.
‘The fellowship scheme felt like a ray of hope, coming at a time of legal aid cuts and closures in the advice sector,’ commented Denise McDowell, director of Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit. ‘The financial contribution is important – without it, we would never have been able to find the money for a new post – but it’s more than that. It is about optimism, and investing in the future and saying “We are not done yet
- JusticeWatch: the miserable state of criminal justice - 26th May 2017
- Manchester lawyers rally to help attack victims - 25th May 2017
- JusticeWatch: Industrial-scale injustice - 19th May 2017
- LALYs 2017 shortlist announced - 18th May 2017
- Lib Dem pledge to reverse Coalition justice cuts - 18th May 2017
- JusticeWatch: ‘Justice – the preserve of the rich’ - 12th May 2017
- Draft Labour manifesto: LASPO cuts have had ‘chilling effect’ on access to justice - 12th May 2017
- JusticeWatch: Time, gentlemen, please - 5th May 2017
- Chancery Lane calls for reversal of LASPO cuts in election manifesto - 5th May 2017
- Constituents increasingly turning to MPs for legal help - 2nd May 2017