The first nine ‘Justice First’ fellows have qualified as solicitors. The lawyers had joined the Legal Education Foundation’s scheme in its first year in 2014 and trained with organisations including the Public Law Project, Coram Children’s Legal Centre, and Coventry Law Centre.
You can read interviews with the fellows on LegalVoice here.
The nine fellows are Melissa Darnbrough (Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit); Deidre Flanigan (Govan Law Centre); Fanny Forest (Coventry Law Centre); Maryam Hussain (Deighton Pierce Glynn); Nadia Hussain (Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit); Helen Roberts (Speakeasy Advice Centre); Debra Robinson (Staffordshire North and Stoke on Trent Citizens Advice Bureaux); Amber Rowsell (Coram Children’s Legal Centre); and Katy Watts (Public Law Project).
Another nine Fellows are due to qualify as solicitors in early 2018 and 15 in late 2018/early 2019, including the first two barrister Fellows.
‘The fellowship scheme felt like a ray of hope, coming at a time of legal aid cuts and closures in the advice sector,’ commented Denise McDowell, director of Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit. ‘The financial contribution is important – without it, we would never have been able to find the money for a new post – but it’s more than that. It is about optimism, and investing in the future and saying “We are not done yet
- JusticeWatch: Behold the ‘majesty’ of our courts… - 16th February 2018
- MoJ pulls plug on education and discrimination tenders as a result of ‘insufficient compliant tenders’ - 14th February 2018
- #LALY18: Nominations now open - 12th February 2018
- JusticeWatch: British justice ‘in flames’ - 9th February 2018
- Reinstating legal aid for migrant children in care could save at least £4m a year - 7th February 2018
- Miscarriage of justice watchdog reckons ‘very high’ probability of people in jail as a result of non-disclosure - 7th February 2018
- JusticeWatch: The legal aid community pays its respects to Sir Henry - 2nd February 2018
- JusticeWatch: ‘A classic case of money not being put into the system…’ - 26th January 2018
- JusticeWatch: No commitments on legal aid - 19th January 2018
- JusticeWatch: Uncork the Gauke - 12th January 2018